- As of late, Rig equipment producers and drilling temporary workers have created computerized sub processes of operational exercises, which together can be portrayed as rig robotization. Though mechanization gives administrators with apparatus to assist them with the solid necessities of the work, computerization diminishes the reliance on human tactile and mental necessities too.
- This automation of surface activities is now increasingly being extended to deal with downhole conditions, optimizing the entire process through drilling automation. Conveying drilling optimization through automotive mechanization requires a comprehensive understanding of the subsurface and its intelligence with the downhole drilling system cutting the shake, the drill string conveying control from the rig, and the drilling ﬂuid system. Understanding and tackling these complexities will deliver subsequent changes in drilling optimization.
- Comparable to the way autopilot frameworks empower airplanes to work securely in variable conditions, cleverly advanced innovation will offer assistance penetrating engineers reliably provide repeatable execution, efﬁcient wells, and progressed security. By supporting human decision making and mediation in negligible conditions, the tools moreover will move forward victory rates in getting to reservoirs right now considered un-drillable.
- Schlumberger has introduced automation to its service offerings through the development of a family of manageable modules that can be used independently or in combination with the ultimate vision of a complete intelligent system which will have the potential to drill a hole section autonomously.
- It is designed to maximize drillers’ situational awareness, which includes their perception of relevant elements of the drilling environment, comprehension of their meaning, and projection of their status in the near future.
AUTOMATED RATE OF PENETRATION
- Drilling ROP optimizing computer programs has as of now conveyed measurable advancements over absolutely human decision-making. The algorithm is based on the modeled drilling response of a polycrystalline diamond compact bit and a unique signal processing technique that quickly and reliably detects changes in actual bottom hole bit response. Input data include real time surface and downhole measurements. The algorithm computes revolutions per minute (rpm) and weight on bit (WOB) parameters which will deliver optimum ROP .
- The ROP optimizer is often conﬁgured to repeatedly monitor and automatically control drilling parameters during a closed-loop system, feeding set points for WOB and RPM on to the controls of the drill rig equipment without the necessity for direct human intervention. In most applications to date, the program has been run in “advise mode” whereby suggested changes to drilling parameters are made through human control.
AUTOMATED MECHANICS, STEERING AND WELL INTEGRITY
- Continuous improvements in data transmission rates are enabling more downhole mechanical measurements than ever before. The coupling of high-frequency sensors with downhole intelligence provides the potential to completely characterize bottom hole assembly phenomena like stick/slip, lateral vibration, and bit bounce. A robotized surface rotation framework that computerizes & optimizes the swaying of the drill pipe amid slide drilling with a bent-housing motor has as of now conveyed effectively comes about.
- Frameworks that completely mechanize and optimize well direction control for both RSS and bent-housing motor congregations are beneath advancement. Safety and well integrity remain of utmost importance. Several related automated technologies are already being deployed and some are in the development stage.
- The results which are taken into account include managed-pressure drilling (MPD) which are already delivering results. Where bottom-hole pressure (BHP) is dynamically managed within the mud-weight window. MPD has enabled the successful drilling of wells with a narrow mud-weight window between pore pressure and fracture pressure where previous attempts had failed thanks to ﬂuid losses.
- Auto sequencing provides the backbone for connecting sub- processes, system limits, and automation algorithms in a dynamic way. New signal processing methodologies create A level of awareness or understanding within the system in order that steps are taken supported the drilling state and therefore the well objective – not simply following a rigid sequence. This technology offers the potential for a higher level of autonomy in the process.
- While drilling automation addresses processes at one rig site, many large development projects have several rigs working in a neighborhood with similar environments and therefore the same technical challenges. In high-volume, multi-rig campaigns, accomplishing the destinations of drilling optimization too requires optimizing the commitment from qualiﬁed human assets, best leveraging their skill and information. Cells are equipped to watch real- time data from each rig, control operations on all, and communicate directly with each rig to debate ongoing activities with a delegated person in charge of location.
- In any case, numerous advancement ventures have repeatable well plans and unsurprising downhole conditions with a constrained downhole chance. The factory drilling process leverages the facility of drilling optimization software and also optimizes human expertise, reducing cost and HSE exposure associated with having personnel on the rig offering particular beneﬁts for operations in remote areas. Factory drilling requires close partnership between involved parties including the drilling contractor, project manager, and operator all working to aligned objectives. Operational responsibilities are not removed but reallocated.
- Advances in automating the drilling process will continue the trend toward improved and lower cost reservoir access, safely and consistently outperforming manual operations. In all cases, the driller on the drill ﬂoor will still have complete control to interact or disengage from the automation system.
- Sharing ability and assets through a production line drilling process will give advance financial beneﬁts in suitable circumstances. The Nonlinear model– based control solutions are also been accountable for this technology.
- Delivering effective and safe drilling automation will involve modified business models for the drilling industry.
This article was written by : Dhaval Shah